Cabrillo College Running Start 2017
Running Start provides graduating seniors from Santa Cruz County high schools priority registration for next fall classes.
7 Steps for Enrolling at Cabrillo College for Fall 2017
Note: Steps 1-5 MUST be completed before Mid-April in order to participate in Running Start!
Step One: Submit a Cabrillo College Application for 2017-18 Admissions as a High School Graduate
- Visit: http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/ar/apply-us.html
- You will need to have your Social Security Number on Hand
- Be sure to use a consistent email (Ex: your SLVUSD Email Address)
- Watch your email for a message containing your Cabrillo student ID.
- Once you receive your ID, you may continue with the next steps. It is required for selecting courses through WebAdvisor.
- For your SEP College/Career artifact, print out a copy of your application.
Step Two: Apply for Financial Aid
- Determine if you will apply for a Cabrillo Scholarship and/or the Honors Program
- Complete the FAFSA with your parent(s) asap at www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- Scholarship Binder: http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/finaid/scholarshipbinder.html
- The High School Scholarship:
- This year’s scholarship webpage should be available in December. An email will be sent out to all Seniors once this opportunity opens up.
- Determine if you can qualify for EOPS:
- Extended Opportunity Programs and Services is a state-funded effort designed to provide financial, counseling and academic support services for full-time Cabrillo students identified as educationally (first one in your family to go to college) and economically (qualified for a free-or-reduced lunch) disadvantaged.
- The Honors Transfer Program:
- Apply for the Honors Transfer Program
- 3.5 weighted GPA or SAT 1900/ACT 29
- Either English 1A ready or 3 or 4* AP English scores or CAASPP/EAP scores of 2682 and above (waives assessment and places you into ENGL 1A)
- Essay AND Letter of recommendation
- Application: https://www.cabrillo.edu/services/honors/graduating-seniors.html
- Apply for the Honors Transfer Program
Step Three: Complete an Online Orientation
- You must complete the orientation before you can take an English/Math assessment
- You must have submitted your application before you can take the Orientation.
- Visit: https://sirena.cabrillo.edu/
- After you Complete your Orientation:
- Print the “Certificate of Completion” and bring it with you to your assessment. Or take a screen shot of the certificate displaying your name to present on your mobile device on the day of the field trip.
- For your SEP College/Career artifact, print out an additional copy of the “Certificate”.
Step Four: Take the Assessment (Placement Tests for English, Math and Reading)
- There are two options to take the assessment:
- Sign Up for SLVHS Assessment Field Trip – February 10th
- Bring Field Trip Registration and $5 Bus Donation to Charlotte in the Counseling Office.
- Trip is limited to the First 35 Seniors.
- Or On your Own: Take the assessment on your own early in December or January
- Assessment Schedule: http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/assessment/schedule.html
- What you need to bring to the Assessment:
- Photo ID
- Your Cabrillo College Student ID Number
- A copy (or screenshot) of your Orientation Certificate
- Further Information:
- Scoring Criteria: http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/assessment/scoring_criteria.html
- Practice from Sample Tests:
- Visit: http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/assessment/sample_tests.html
- Completing sample tests could help you avoid having to re-test or worse having to take remedial classes in English and math until you reach college level courses. Remedial classes cost you time and money, so take the time to prepare for the assessments.
- Eligibility for Assessment Exemptions:
- You may be exempt from taking assessments based on scores from the following: CAASPP “Ready” status on EAP, AP scores of 3, 4, or 5 or IB scores or placement results or transcripts from another college.
- Note deadlines for submission of scores. Submit by March. www.cabrillo.edu/services/assessment/
Step Five: Attend an Educational Plan Workshop
- This is a requirement which helps you select classes that meet your math, English, major & career interests.
- Note: We may offer this workshop with Cabrillo personnel on our campus.
- The Ed plan Workshop Calendar can be found here:
- For more information, visit:
- At an Ed. Plan workshops you:
- Learn how to register for classes using Web Advisor and set-up an academic plan to transfer or receive your two year degree.
- To get started on your Education Plan, visit: https://www.cabrillo.edu/home/programs/
- Pick a major or program and review the options that link you to major’s webpage (including listing of transfer colleges, degree requirements – AA or AS or transfer, and course offerings)
- For your SEP College/Career artifact, print out this information
- Use WebAdvisor to search for classes and add them to your “Preferred Sections” in preparation for the May registration date.
- You must enroll in CG51 for summer (separate application required) or through webadvisor fall. Make an appointment with a Cabrillo counselor in advance to complete your Cabrillo schedule
All of the Above MUST be completed before APRIL 14TH, 2017 in order to participate in Running Start!
Step Six: Attend a “Registration Readiness” Workshop
- This is to help you in advance in order to complete your Cabrillo Schedule.
- These are on a drop-in basis.
- In order to prepare for running start:
- Use WebAdvisor to search for classes and add them to your “Preferred Sections”
- Optional: Attend a Campus tour through the Welcome Center.
- Tours last for 60-80 Minutes.
- To find out more information on campus tours, visit: https://www.cabrillo.edu/services/outreach/campustours.html
Step Seven: Register on the Running Start Priority Registration Day ON MAY 19TH AND Pay all required Tuition & Fees within 5 Days.
- Visit: cabrillo.edu & click on WebAdvisor. Have all your classes ready to submit before your assigned time. Help is available in the Welcome Center and Counseling Office.
- NOTE: You MUST enroll in CG51: Planning for Success either during the summer or fall, in order to maintain your priority enrollment. If you have already completed CG51, you are waived from this requirement.
- Pay your tuition & fees online with WebAdvisor or mail check to: Student Accounts, 6500 Soquel Drive, Aptos, CA 95003
Congratulations on completing all seven steps, you are now officially a Cabrillo College Seahawk!