from Jeff Calden
This has been a difficult week of school. I want to say how proud I am of our staff, our students, and our families for working hard to do the best that we can do during the situation in which we now find ourselves.
I hope you all received and read the email last night from Superintendent Bruton about the Closure of all Santa Cruz County Public Schools for one week beginning Monday, March 16. If not, here is the text:
Dear SLV Families,
SLVUSD does NOT currently have a diagnosed case of COVID19. School will be in regular session tomorrow, Friday, March 13, 2020.
On Friday (3/13), teachers will work with students, provide instructional materials (where appropriate) and instruct students to complete classwork during the event of a School Dismissal/Closure. I encourage you to send your children to school to receive information from teachers on Continued Learning Plans. Please read the attached information from the Santa Cruz County of Education and the Districts in Santa Cruz County.
I have attached the County Office letter to this email. It is important to note that our district has no confirmed cases.
SLV High School worked during 1st period yesterday and 2nd period today to prepare all students for the possibility of online learning.
There is not yet a decision of when that will begin. Here are the facts as of today:
- There is school today - Friday, March 13.
- Students do not have school of any kind on Monday, March 16 and Tuesday March 17. These are student days off.
- Staff will work on Monday, March 16 and Tuesday, March 17 to prepare for the possibility of online learning.
- The first possible day of online learning could be Wednesday, March 18. That decision HAS NOT yet been made.
- The District Office will communicate with families through email.
- Parents and Students are asked to please check for emails from regularly between now and Wednesday for updates.
I must also stress that these plans could change at any time.
Below are the links to the both the county health department, as well as the county office of education.
SSC Health Department: https://www.santacruzhealth.org/Coronavirus
SCC Office of Education: www.sccoe.link/coronavirus
I am an SLVHS Student - I Wasn't at School on Thursday or Friday - What do I do?
Teachers spent the mornings on Thursday and Friday this week to practice the Schoology sign-on that puts you into your teacher's GoGuardian Online Classroom. There are specific things that need to happen to make this work that are different from normally just signing into Schoology.
The Directions are below. When we do have our first online classes, you will have to follow these steps on your device to be part of the class.
- Turn on your device.
- Open the Chrome Browser and log in to Schoology with their school email account. Using Safari, Windows, or another browser will not work, as GoGuardian is a Chrome extension. If you sign in to Schoology with an account that is NOT your school account - it will not work. Must be your school-issued email.
- If you are signing into Schoology to access an Active GoGuardian Session and everything works properly, you will see a blue chat circle on the lower left corner of your screen. If you click it, you can send a chat message to your teacher. If this doesn't work right, please check the following:
- Are you using a Chrome Browser? (Not Safari, Firefox, etc.)
- Are you logged into Schoology using your school-issued email?
- Are you logged into the Chrome browser with their school profile? This is different than logging into School email or Schoology and was the source of most of our issues You can check this by clicking on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the browser window. See attached Profile Check in video if this doesn't make sense to you.
If you have verified these steps and you still do not have a chat icon, please email your teacher to let them know you are there, and trying to get in. You will still be able to do the work posted on Schoology, but GoGuardian presence on the teacher's screen will be used for attendance in class and we will work with you to get that fixed.
Schedule for the Week of March 16 - 20
Staff Work Day
| Staff Work Day
Possible 1st Day of SLVHS Online School (A)
|Possible 2nd Day of SLVHS Online School (O)|
|TBD||Possible 3rd Day of SLVHS Online School (E)|
SLV Unified School District LCAP Survey - Please Give us Your Input
We value parent input and would like to hear from all families!
Below are some helpful links and contact information for SLV High School students and parents:
SAN LORENZO VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
7105 Hwy 9, Felton, CA 95018
Phone: (831) 335-4425
Fax: (831) 335-1531
Attendance Line: (831) 335-3646
This is a reminder that San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District policy, as set by the Board of Trustees, declares that we are a fragrant-neutral district. As we begin to have our drama performances and other site-based activities and meetings, please take care to follow the policies below for the sake of the students and members of our community who are highly allergic to fragrances and scents.
The SLVUSD Board of Trustees adopted a California School Board Association policy to make all district classrooms and offices fragrant neutral. SLVHS has parents, students, and community members with respiratory issues who can have negative reactions to fragrances. Please take care to follow the policy while on campus.
Staff and students shall refrain from bringing furred or feathered animals, stuffed toys that may collect dust mites, scented candles, incense or air fresheners and from using perfume or cologne, scented hair spray, nail polish or nail polish remover that are not fragrance-free in classrooms or other enclosed areas or buildings.
The Community Opportunity Link is provided as a courtesy for parents and students by the San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District to receive information of current local events and other student opportunities. These opportunities range from scouting, sports, arts/drama, local community events, as well as other parent resources. In an effort to reduce paper, flyers will not be sent home to students; all approved flyers will be posted to this District-created website.