Finding a Job / Work Permit Process
If you are thinking of working while in High School, here are the steps to how you get a work permit:
Important: Each work permit is unique. You will need a work permit any time you apply for a new / additional job. Also, you will need to re-apply every year for a new work permit as they do expire.
Work Permit Process
Step One: Find a Job
- Before you can be issued a work permit application, you first need to be at least 14 and have been offered a job. If you are 18, you do not need a work permit.
- To help in finding a job, click here for a list of businesses that have hired our students in the past. You will need to call these businesses to see if they are hiring.
- Another way to find a job is to ask the businesses around you to see if they are hiring.
Step Two: Pick up a Work Permit Application
- Come to the SLVHS Counseling Office to pick up a Work Permit Application and have both a parent and employer sign it. You can also download and print this application form here.
Step Three: Signatures and Return Application to SLVHS Counseling Office
- Once you have filled out the form and gotten both the parent and employer signature, you bring the work permit back to the SLVHS Counseling Office. After your counselor signs it, we will then complete the work permit and then it will be ready to be picked up at the end of the school day.
- Note: During the Summer, you may need to go to the district office to complete this process, contact the SLVHS Counseling Office to find out when this period is.
Step Four: Bring your Work Permit to your Employer
- When you come back to pick up your work permit, you will sign it and then bring the permit to your employer.
If you have any questions about the work permit process, email Charlotte Achen at [email protected]